LSU Online: Assignments and Assessments:Test Taking Tips
Archived Historical Data: Not Actively Maintained.
Test Taking Tips
When taking tests in and online environment, there are a few things you should take into consideration before and during the test to ensure successful submissions.
Before starting the test:
- Disable all pop-up blockers. Or set them to allow pop-ups for your learning platform. Tests sometimes appear as pop-up windows, and a pop-up blocker may prevent the test from displaying properly. You may need to turn off pop-up blockers in your browsers and in other software such as Google or Yahoo toolbars and virus protection programs.
- Clear Browser cache. Before you take a test, clear your browser’s cache. For instructions on clearing the browser cache, locate the Help area of your browser program and search for “browser cache” or “clear browser cache” to get instructions for your specific browser.
- Clear Java cache. To help prevent some testing issues, you may want to clear your Java cache before each test. For Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000/2003 users running Java version 6, visit the Java website to learn how to clear java cache and follow the instructions provided by Java.
- Close all other programs running on your computer before taking a test. Having multiple programs open may cause problems that may result in loss of quiz data.
- Make sure you use a compatible browser when working in an online learning environment.
- Some tests may only be taken once. Do not begin a test until you are ready to.
During the test:
- Do not use your web browser's Back or Forward buttons when working in an online learning environment, and when taking a test.
- If the test is set to display one question at a time, make sure that you have selected the best answer before moving on to the next question. Use the navigation arrows to advance to the next question.
- Focus on completing the test. Do not open any additional software applications, check email, or browse the Internet in other windows.
- Do not leave the computer idle while a test is in progress. Your current session will automatically end after a period of inactivity.
- Beware of software updates and virus scans. If you have programs such as automatic software updates or virus scans set to run at a particular time, do not take the test during a time when software updates are scheduled to occur.
- Do not resize or refresh the screen after loading the test. Make sure it is the size you want before going into the test. Most browsers refresh the page when you resize the screen. This means it will reload the quiz and may prohibit you from taking the test.
- The majority of questions in assessments are auto-graded. Essay, file response, and short answer questions are not auto-graded. If an assessment contains these question types, your instructor will review the questions and manually provide a score. The grade for the assessment will not be immediately available after the assessment is submitted.
Download Test Taking Tips (.pdf)
7/6/2016 12:51:02 PM