VLC Media Player: Desktop Streaming
[Return to VLC Media Player: LSU Overview]
1. Open VLC Media Player.
2. Select Media | Open Capture Device.
3. The default Capture Mode is DirectShow.
4. Change the Capture Mode to Desktop.
5. Change the Desired Frame Rate for the Capture to 15. (Customize the Frame Rate according to your needs.)
6. Select Stream by clicking on the small tab towards the left side of the Play tab in the bottom right hand corner.
7. Select Next.
8. Check the box for Display Locally.
9. Check the box for Activate Transcoding.
10. Click on the drop-down arrow next to New Destination and set it to UDP. (The default is File)
11. Click on Add.
12. Specify the IP address of the destination machine (client machine) on which you are streaming the desktop to.
13. Specify the Port Number as 1234.
Note: With UDP, do not enter the IP Address of the Server. Instead, enter the IP Address of the Receiving Computer or Multicast.
14. Specify the video options by clicking on the Tools icon , located next to the Profile dropdown.
15. Update the Bit rate, Frame Rate & Width/Height to optimize the video quality.
16. Click Save.
17. Click on the Next tab in the bottom right hand corner.
18. Click on the tab Stream.
19. The following desktop will display:
- Client Side Configuration: Perform this on the desktop for the IP Address you specified initially for streaming.?
1. Open VLC Media Player on the client machine.
2. Click on Media | Open Network Stream.
3. Specify the Protocol as UDP.
a. Click on the drop-down arrow below Protocol.
b. Specify the IP Address of the machine. This is the same IP Address that was specified while configuring the VLC Server.
c. Specify the Port Number to 1234.
Note: The Protocol (UDP), IP Address (IP Address of the machine on which you want to stream the Desktop) & the Port (1234) remains the same as specified earlier during the set up.
4. Click Play, located on the bottom right hand corner of the window.
5. You are viewing the other (server) computer's desktop on this (client) computer using VLC video player.
10/12/2013 1:34:39 AM