Windows Vista: Changing between Public and Private Networks
Archived Historical Data: Not Actively Maintained.
Windows Vista allows the user to change between both public and private networks.
||Networks that include peer-to-peer networks that are under the user's control. When the user connects to a new network, and if the user notifies Vista that it's a private network, Vista opens the user's computer so that others on the network are able to see it.
||Networks that the user does not control. When the user connects to a new network and notifies Vista that it's a public network, Vista knows that it should not make the user's computer visible to others on the network. The following steps show the user how to switch between both a public and private network
1. Connect to the network that you want to change. (i.e. eduroam)
2. Click Start | Control Panel.
3. Click on Network and Internet.
4. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
5. If the user would like to change a private network to public network, click the Customize link to the right of the Private Network line.
6. Choose either Public or Private.
7. Click OK
8. Click the red X to exit the Network and Sharing Center.
5/19/2014 2:47:56 PM
We love feedback! Please help us improve this article.